Monday, August 20, 2007

Watching the Monsters

Wee Laddie actually admitted being tired this morning. Three nights up late and 2 days of short naps. He started crying at the mess hall because I wouldn’t pick him up… I wanted him to walk & hold my hand. (He’s just so heavy to lug around like that. Okay, it’s because I’m a wuss. But I know I need to save my back at lunch in case we have to bounce at naptime.)

He still wouldn’t nap ‘til after 3:30 and me coming all unglued again. I love my days with my son except for that time: I am so miserable about trying to get him to sleep. I’d let him skip it and just have quiet time if he didn’t cry about everything the rest of the day when he doesn’t nap. We both slept ‘til 6pm and woke when Guitarman opened the garage. Wee Laddie was a bit whiny through dinner, but better than he’d have been without that glorious sleep, I’ll bet.

Stacy (the one who took over helping me with the sign class ‘til Tina started working here) is back from her trip to the US, but her husband is deployed now. That must be such a hard adjustment… especially when you’re not all that thrilled with where you are living. She just really doesn’t like being out in the sticks (they live in a town between here and another base, as her husband works there… but she works here). She’s really nice… I like her a lot. I hope we still see her now that Tina’s running the New Parent stuff. I’m thinking I should see if she wants to meet for dinner one night or something. It’d sure be good for me to get a night out.

Another late night for Wee Laddie, but he didn’t cry or anything. Good progress so far, I think. I guess we should start weaning him off the 4-minute checks we’ve been doing and maybe go for 10. I’m trying to make this a smooth, low-pressure transition, but also trying not to develop new habits that we’ll then have to work later on undoing. It’s hard to find the exact right way to handle it.

Watched part of Monsters, Inc. this morning, and more of it tonight. I stopped it right before the scream extractor part ‘cause I thought it might be too scary for Wee Laddie… especially as we were watching it right before bedtime. We’ll take our time with that one if we need to. I don’t want to rush him into watching anything that might give him nightmares or make him think there are monsters in the closet (not that the closet part will be an issue as long as we’re in Germany, I guess).

1 comment:

J said...

Hi! We need our-co-mom back in CO! Hope you guys make it back here like you're hoping.