Thursday, August 9, 2007

Auf Wiedersehen to Chocolate

Had a one-hour GTT (glucose tolerance test) at the OB today. Positive. I'm not surprised… I just wasn't expecting that diagnosis this early in the game. The test sucks. You have to fast for 12 hours, then go in and drink this horrible glucose drink (this one was blackcurrant flavor, at least. I think I had a choice last time between orange and soda-flavored, ugh) and then sit around for an hour. And they do a finger-stick before the glucose drink and after the hour. Well, being pregnant and hungry all the time… and semi-nauseated much of the time… this was not a fun time. (Oh, and I got a migraine this morning, too, so that helped.) I felt like throwing up pretty much from the moment I woke up. I actually took a couple of plastic bags with me, just in case. I wasn’t actually sure I was going to be able to keep the glucose drink down. I’m thinking perhaps they should at least wait ‘til after 12 weeks when the morning sickness period is likely to be over before performing this test on people.

At any rate, thus ends my love affair with German/European chocolate and käsespätzle. Oh, and I guess the daily ice cream at the mess hall is out, too.

While having the one-hour blood test, I let Wee Laddie wait for me in the waiting room (mostly because he actually wanted to...which is highly unusual for him). I was sitting around the corner. My back was to the waiting room door, but if I leaned over I probably could've touched the door. And yet somehow, by the time I went back in there, my beloved son was standing very close in front of an older man sitting in a chair. And, as I was about to find out, the man had just given Wee Laddie a piece of candy. Jesus.

I know it was probably totally innocent on the man's part (it really is like living in a different time over here), but it sure pointed out my son's innocence (which, of course, I want preserve as long as possible, but not enough to leave him defenseless in this world of predators) and naivete. Nevermind what it pointed out about my choice as a parent at that moment. That will never happen again. (I’ve now had my first discussion with my son about not accepting candy from strangers.) And if any of you mention it to Guitarman, you're out of the will. And you’d be responsible for the nightmares it’d probably give him.

No comments: