Wednesday, August 22, 2007

New Bedding

I finally remembered to look up the phone number for the diabetes doctor and called to reschedule. The reasons for the delay were threefold: 1) I honestly kept forgetting 2) Wee Laddie keeps taking so long to get to sleep at naptime that there’d be no time to call before the office had closed and 3) it’s pretty intimidating to call an office where you have no idea if they speak any English. (Well, I knew that *someone* did, ‘cause my doctor’s office made sure they’d be able to communicate with me before they sent me there.) So I sort of rehearsed how to ask if someone there speaks English because my Deutsch is very bad. And luckily, the girl who answered the phone spoke pretty good English. I got rescheduled for next Monday, and when it came time for directions she turned me over to someone else.

Turns out it was the doc himself, who was exceedingly nice. I was actually astounded at how nice he seemed. (I used to work in an orthopedic bracing shop and we always dreaded having to call doctors because 95% of them were arrogant dickheads who seemed to enjoy throwing their weight around.) He gave me directions and was repeating them to make sure they made sense. I said, “I also have your phone number this time, so I’ll call if I have any trouble.” He said, “If you can’t find us let us know. We can come get you and bring you up.” So I feel much better about the whole incident. I’d be embarrassed about the whole thing (‘cause it sure seems like a person ought to be able to find an office if they’re at the actual correct address!) except that I’m pretty sure I’d have found it if anything anywhere had listed either of the doctors’ names on it.

Wee Laddie didn’t do as well with the tucking himself in thing tonight. It’s probably partly that he was picking up on parental stress... combined with his own crankiness from not sleeping as much (or napping well) for the last 5 or so days while we work on this transition. He doesn’t fall asleep ‘til at least 10pm and then gets up at 7am or shortly after. Then if he skips a nap, too… well, you can probably imagine what it’s like around here some days. But now that I’m thinking about this, I suspect that this whole transition could explain some of his clinginess the last several days. I guess I need to step it up mommy-wise and be more understanding… and not just at bedtime.

We went to the Möbelhof after nap, Wee Laddie and I. We bought a European bed over here while waiting for our stuff to show up… and although it’s a great size (much wider than our queen from back home which is, however, much more comfy in all of its pillowtop glory… good work, Denver Mattress) it actually comes with two mattresses. So there’s a split in the middle where Wee Laddie usually sleeps. I’ve been looking for a little pad thingy to put in the gap but haven’t been able to find one yet. Anyway, that’s one of the things I was looking for. I also wanted to get dual duvets for that bed. Although I prefer the mattress in one piece we really need the duvet in two. Why? Because Wee Laddie pretty much refuses to have any duvet on him at all, even when he’s sleeping. So our duvet is supposed to reach both me and Guitarman, but then dip down to below Wee Laddie’s feet in the middle of the bed. Quite a feat. Anyway, I didn’t want to commit to that until I could find 1) dual duvet covers that I liked (perhaps a harder task than it seems like it should be) and 2) a lime green sheet for the queen bed, since I’ll put our funky newish duvet on that bed now and retire the terribly subtle green sateen stripe (yawn… and yes, I picked it myself) we had on it before, and I think lime green will look fab with the duvet cover, which has lime green circles in it. Can you see them? They’re very small.



I didn’t find the thing for the gap, but I did find dual duvet covers I liked



and a lime green sheet that I think will fit the queen bed (and as I write this it dawns on me that European sheet sets come with only a fitted sheet and pillowcase—for a square pillow, mind you—but no top sheet. Oh well.) and some pillow cases for these two cylindrical pillows that we have. And all at a very reasonable price. Like IKEA pricing, even. Gotta love that.

No comments: