Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Big Belly Bonanza!

In case any of you have been doubting that Bavarian drivers can really be that bad (like bad enough to warrant all my bitching about them), let me draw you a picture: Wee Laddie and I driving to base. It’s a country road, but the main road between base and the Autobahn… and also the main road between lots of farms and tiny villages. This being a farming community, we often see tractors driving along this and other roads in the area. So, it seemed perfectly normal that we came upon 3 cars driving really slowly behind a tractor. We were in a no-passing zone, and people were obeying that and actually waiting ‘til they could see around the tractor.

Until… duh duh DUUHHHHH… some a-hole comes blazing up behind me and pops out into the other lane. There’s a car coming the other direction in that lane (!!), so I figured Turbo-hole would jump back in behind me. And when he didn’t do that, I thought he surely would try to squeeze rudely in between two of the other cars (and it’d have to be rudely, as Bavarians don’t leave much room between themselves and the car in front). But no, Mr. Velocity decides instead to create his own third lane down the middle of the road (and mind you, this being Germany, the roads are far from excessively wide) and make the other driver scoot over so he could get through. And as soon as that happened, another one of the cars in the line jumped out and passed Herr Speed!

So in my utter shock at this scene (and at the fact that nobody hit anybody!), I exclaimed, “You’re an ASS!” Pause. From the backseat: “Me?” Poor Wee Laddie. I might as well sign him up for therapy already.

Speaking of Wee Laddie… Lately whenever we’re watching a movie, he’ll spot someplace interesting and say, “Should we go there tonight?” or “Should we go there one day?” Of course most of the places are animated so we tell him we can’t, but other times we’ll talk about maybe going there one day. I love his sense of adventure. I predict he will have lots of adventures in his life.

I went to the thrift store ‘cause I’d remembered seeing some maternity clothes there before and I can’t think of another way to get a hold of some quickly (and even though I can still fit into a few things I’m ready for the pregnant look instead of just looking chunky). I figured I’d maybe find a shirt or two and maybe a pair of capris to get me through the rest of summer. I have a hard time buying pants ‘cause they’re nearly always too short, so I wasn’t expecting any of those to fit. Anyway, imagine my surprise when I found multiple pairs of pants that fit! 6 pairs, to be exact! And 3 pairs of capris! And 3 shirts! And we found 2 great shirts for Wee Laddie, too, along with a pair of oxford-type shoes. I was so pleased with myself… my most expensive item was $4! Then I get up to the cashier and it turns out they’re having a “bag sale” where you can get a bag full of clothes for $4. And all my clothing fit into ONE BAG! So after you add in the shoes, my entire purchase cost less than $6! I think it was my best clothes shopping day ever. (And I thought the $2.50 maternity pants I found at the Würzburg PX were an impressive deal!)

No comments: