Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Tuck-In Report

Wee Laddie got up to switch rooms after Guitarman had gone to bed (he’d switched to his own room during the bedtime process). So it appears that the change from co-sleeping is going to be a whole separate transition. I shouldn’t be surprised that our child would challenge us at every turn.

Made it through all of Monsters Inc this morning. I sat right next to him a couple of times (he was watching while I was cooking breakfast) during parts I thought he might think were scary. He was fine, but asked about the scream extractor a couple of times later today.

After lunch we went to the craft store on base. I’ve suddenly become very interested in making beads & things with polymer clay so I wanted to see what they have there. Answer: not much. They did actually have some clay, which surprised me a little, but they had no tools or anything. Not a one. So I bought some neon colors of clay (their color selection was quite limited, but they were all on super-clearance pricing!) to play around with.

Nap was a bit of a struggle again but instead of fighting with him for an hour, I just held him tight ‘til he fell asleep. He hates when I do that and usually cries. But he also goes to sleep, and usually pretty quickly. I just don’t like doing it much ‘cause it feels like I’m being mean. (I guess I should clarify that holding him tight is not like a total physical restraint or anything… I basically just snuggle him up. But if I call it holding him tight I can kind of use it as a threat: “Are you going to lie down or should I hold you tight?”) Naptime is *so* not my best time as a mommy. It’s the time that all my doubts about my parenting skills pop up and smack me right in the face.

Tonight while Wee Laddie was getting ready for bed he fell on the stairs in our bedroom and smacked his head. We have this stupid little stairway of like 3 steps that go down into our bedroom. Of course there’s no railing and of course the steps are laminate (read: really slippery, also read: O-tay misses carpeting). With the way Wee Laddie gets revved up around bedtime, it’s frankly quite shocking that it’s taken him nearly 8 full months to fall off these stairs.

No comments: