Thursday, August 16, 2007

Directionally Challenged

Had an 8am appt in Regensburg with an internist or something for the gestational diabetes. So we got up early (I even managed to shower despite that!), got waffles ready & hopped in the car. I had both Google directions and the GPS, just in case. I usually do just fine finding my way to places, but occasionally I get hopelessly lost. Especially, for some reason, when overseas.

We got to our destination address with only about 10 minutes to spare, which is less than I'd originally planned, but it wasn't surprising since we left a bit later than I'd originally planned.

So we found ourselves in the parking lot of the Donau Einkaufs Zentrum (a mall). I figured it must be in the tall, grey building attached to the mall, right? So I lugged Wee Laddie inside at nearly a jog so we weren't late, and we go check out the entrance for the grey building. There were only 2 floors that were marked, and neither was the place we were looking for.

We go back outside ('cause I was thinking it must be another building attached to the mall) and walk/run all around the mall, but no luck there either. We tried driving around again & checked other sides of the intersection (at one point, Wee Laddie asked me, "Is this funny?"), went back inside and walked the whole mall, tried a few floors of the unmarked grey building and called Guitarman to whine. Wee Laddie wanted to talk to Guitarman and told him, "There's like a mall here, Dad. And a building, and so..."

I got Wee Laddie a prtezel as a treat for being such a good sport. Turned out to not be a very good one (better with some string cheese in it) but it's good that I got it. When I got home I noticed that the pretzel wrapper had the address on it, so I was able to confirm that I had, in fact, been at the correct address.

So no go for the doc and my OB is on vacation...now I have to find their phone number & hope for someone who speaks English so I can apologize, explain and reschedule. Ah, the fun of medical care in a foreign land.

Tonight we watched some of the videos of Wee Laddie from when he was littler. His favorite was a short clip from Easter at Grandma-Grandma's house... the egg fight portion. (A family tradition of unknown origin whereby we have "battles" between eggs to open them.)

No comments: