Tuesday, August 28, 2007

So Tired, Tired of Waiting

Went to the Klinik at 9am and the doctor we needed to talk to was in surgery for the next hour. Of course. So we walked to a park across the street and walked & played, checking our watches all the while. When we finally got to talk to the doctor, I was nearly a basket case. I’d imagined some different scenarios based on the “not bad, but not good” comment. I figured the best case was that they’d say 1 in 150… worst case maybe 1 in 25. So imagine my surprise when they said 1 in 405! Now, that’s not a great number, I guess… we had great numbers with Wee Laddie (1 in 1364 or something for the first one). But first off, my general risk due to my age is 1 in 98. So we’ve reduced that by 75%. I can live with that. And we’re now in a position where the risk of miscarriage from an amnio is bigger than (double!) our risk of having a baby with Downs.

And I’ve already kind of come to peace with the idea of having a Downs baby. Odds are still strong that we won’t, but if we do we’ll be okay.

After lunch we went to the clinic on base to see if we can use the pharmacy there… Guitarman thought we might be able to. Of course, the pharmacy is closed over lunch… as is the office we had to go to to find out if we can use the pharmacy. So we went and blew bubbles by the bowling alley ‘til Wee Laddie refused to listen one too many times. Went back to the clinic and found out we can’t use the pharmacy there, unless the commander approves it. The woman I talked to is going to check with him tomorrow, so I’m supposed to call her back. The Rx for my diabetes testing stuff is crazy expensive (over $220 a month!) at the German pharmacy I went to and the Rx plan won’t send it from the US since it’s a new Rx. Oy. It’s like the insurance company doesn’t want to save any money. I looked on Amazon today, though, and can save a bundle if I can order them there. We’ll see what I can figure out.

Wee Laddie didn’t take a nap today. After the stressful morning (and night last night), you might imagine that I was thrilled by that. He had quiet time in his room by himself for about 90 minutes, but we both could’ve really used a nap. I intended for him to get to bed early, but that didn’t happen by the time I got dinner made and everything. He did, however, fall asleep about 20 minutes after going to bed And that NEVER happens.

No comments: