Thursday, August 23, 2007

Schatzi’s First Test

Had our 1st trimester screen this morning. Because of my age, the automatic risk of Downs is 1/93. The nuchal translucency measurement was “slightly” elevated, so they changed the odds to 1/60. The doc was sort of pushing for us to get an amnio, but we decided first to do some optional bloodwork (I think it was just part of the regular test when we had it done with Wee Laddie) and see what that indicates. They measure levels of a couple of hormones, I think, and that should narrow it down one way or the other. If it comes back higher odds, we’ll think about the amnio. I don’t mean to sound paranoid, but there is a risk of miscarriage from an amnio of about 1:200 (and knowing firsthand how awful that is, I’d hate to have to go there again). Plus, the adjusted odds are the same now as they would be based on my age next year.

He didn’t make any mention of Trisomy-18, which is a huge relief. That one is seriously nasty.

After the doc, we went back to pick up Guitarman’s car (which we’d left at the Penny Markt by the autobahn) and headed over to the mess hall for the usual lunch. Wee Laddie skipped nap today. This is wearing me out.

I did my first prenatal yoga workout. It was tiring, but good. I hope I can find the time to really stick with it, as I’m sure it’ll do me a world of good. There’s a postnatal video I’ll order later, so hopefully I can keep from getting all knotted up this time from nursing and snuggling a little one.

I may have found the solution to getting Wee Laddie to wear regular pants instead of sweats all the time: pockets. He has, in the last few days, opted out of sweats so that he could put a toy in a pocket. Perhaps I’ll have to play that up a bit ‘til he gets over his anti-jeans stance.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Ahhh, but the sweats are so easy with pottying...

Interesting side note since you and I share a mutation. :) The 1st tri screen was recommended for me (back at a ripe ol' age of 28) for "predicting" my future preE/HELLP risk.

I can see your fears with the amnio...for sure!