Saturday, August 4, 2007

Quick Tour of Kelheim

Today we decided to take the Js to a town somewhere nearby… we decided on Kelheim. Swung by the base for lunch first (the Js had actually wanted to go back again before they left… so we weren’t forcing them) and then we headed that way.

I was leading the way and using the GPS for part of the route (the first part seemed like totally the wrong way to go so I just ignored it ‘til it started making sense). We got to a roundabout near here from which you can head to Seubersdorf, Altmuhl or Regensburg. We have seen the signs for Kelheim on the way to Riedenberg, which is in the same direction as Altmuhl but we’ve not actually gone far enough to get to Kelheim that way. The GPS routed us on the Regensburg exit so I thought it might be shorter that way. I noticed that Guitarman took the Altmuhl exit, so when I got to a parking stop I called him. I told him he’d gone an exit early and he said, “I thought you were going to go the usual way.” I told him that I was but that the GPS had said to take the next exit. He said, “I didn’t think you were using the GPS.” I told him I hadn’t been at first, but that it was making sense now. I look up, and he’s driving right past us. Now I ask you: Why didn’t he, at some point in this conversation, say something like, “Yeah, I took the next exit when I didn’t see you.” Or something. I’m not saying it’s wrong… just odd. Is it a guy thing? Like they can’t ask for directions, nor can they admit that they’ve changed direction?

Kelheim was a cute town but Wee Laddie and I didn’t end up staying long. And then Guitarman and the Js didn’t either because it started to rain. We’re starting to get AFC (Another Friggin’ Cathedral) syndrome about quaint Bavarian towns. They’re awesome and charming and all that… but after a while they all start to seem a little bit the same.

No comments: