Thursday, March 22, 2007

An Almost Grown-up Lunch

Had lunch at the Hotel Hirschen (here in Parsberg) with a woman I met through The German Way message board (run by the author of a book by the same name… it’s basically about what to expect from life in Germany). She was very nice and I completely embarrassed myself with my horrible German. She’s fluent. Wee Laddie was a bit of a distraction for the conversation, but it was nice to talk with someone not from base. She’s pregnant, so I reckon the distraction part was good practice for her.

I tried the käsespätzle, which is, apparently, a regional specialty. It’s spätzle (many of you have probably had that), which I think are like potato noodles sort of… they’re small squiggly noodes. It had melted cheese and onion strings on top. The woman I had lunch with said it was as close as Germans get to mac & cheese. I say they win. This was hands-down better than any mac & cheese I’ve ever had. Even the kind that has real cheese.

I goofed somewhere (I’ll go back & fix it when I figure out the right date) and completely forgot to post about our walk around Regensburg last month. It’s apparently a sort of tourist-attraction town for this area… it’s the town we thought we might live it, but it turned out to be a bit far for commuting. We didn’t go into any museums or cathedrals or anything, just walked around and looked at architecture & stuff. We did go to the Wurstküche… a sausage kitchen that’s over 500 years old! It’s built into a section of the city walls, I believe, and it’s this very odd place… very small and enclosed… I can’t imagine working there! They cook the sausages—dozens & dozens at a time--over charcoal grills. They have a small eat-in area and tables outside (which is where we sat). Yummy.

No comments: