Tuesday, June 12, 2007

If You Have Half a Brain

I’ve mentioned before that ‘80s music has a previously unknown (at least to me) 2nd lifespan in Germany. Today while driving around trying to get Wee Laddie to fall asleep in the car (oh yes, we are back to that) I heard Michael Jackson’s “Beat It.” And yesterday Guitarman and I heard “Rock Me, Amadeus” by Falco. (At least it’s obvious why that one might be played over here.) But I also learned today that some ‘70s music is also hanging in over here. “Escape” (the Pina Colada song)… and yes, I sang along. You just gotta. I find the whole ‘80s music thing both fascinating and disturbing. But I get to feed my own occasional ‘80s music habit, so it all works out.

You know what I miss? Being able to give people the finger in traffic. Not that I do it often, but there are times when it just feels strangely satisfying to flip off some complete idiot. Here, it’s actually illegal to gesture at someone in traffic. As is honking at someone for being rude or annoying. (You can only honk as an alert, like if someone’s about to back into you from their driveway.) As aggressive and obnoxious as the drivers are here, I find it surprising. Is it this law that keeps them from having a huge road rage problem? Or maybe they do… I’d never know since I can’t understand the news.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Jason would get so many tickets there. Although he's sitting here debating that to me. He's a little heavy on the hand gestures (even if its pantomiming crying like a baby to someone). Heavy on the horn too. But he's saying that it's to alert the other drivers "hey, look out for this dumbarse".