Monday, October 1, 2007

Back to School

Tonight was our first night back in German class. Telise came by the house and I showed her where it is. Kelly was going to go too, but her hubby’s in the field and she didn’t have a sitter. She’ll try next week.

It was good to get back to practicing! It’s so hard for me to get opportunities to talk in German with Germans. My biggest chance is usually at the local markets, but we only go there once a week at most. And there’s usually a line. And it’s dinnertime.

Anyway, looks like there will be 7 of us in class. Some new, but only one of the asylum-seeker students is back. I feel so much better about my efforts while I’m at least attending classes. I sometimes feel like a slacker for how little German I can speak but, in my defense, I haven’t been able to take an intensive course (like I had thought about doing this fall if we were going to stay longer) and we have only been here for 9 months. That seems a shorter time when half your days are lost to naps & the related hoopla. I’ve been really lax on the CD listening lately, though.

Guitarman spotted this sight outside our bathroom window tonight. And yes, that orange thing on the left is the moon, partially hidden in clouds. The photo doesn’t do it justice… it was quite beautiful. (And since I’m posting this later, I can tell you that Guitarman will send a similar photo to his family with a comment that, as beautiful as this view is, we would both be much happier if our house overlooked a Chipotle instead.)

No comments: