Saturday, October 6, 2007

Potty Weekend

Guitarman was on shift today (and is tomorrow, too) so Wee Laddie and I were solo. We decided to tackle potty training, since we can just stay home all weekend and practice. The need to do this has become urgent.

A few weeks ago, the changing table (a cabinet kind of thing) at the commissary suddenly became wobbly. Wee Laddie was upset by it, but I didn’t think it was anything major. The next time we went back it was still wobbly… Wee Laddie talked about falling off so I tried to use my foot to keep it from rocking. (Didn’t work.) He got very upset, and at his next two diaper changes on changing tables in other places, he came absolutely unhinged. We had one change at the mess hall that was so traumatic that I was also near tears and we were both exhausted. No amount of reassurance will convince him that it’s okay to stop clutching my neck/arms/hands/whatever he can reach… that I will NOT let him fall. He is completely terrified, and as my belly gets bigger it gets harder to bend over far enough to change him standing up. Not to mention that it’s not the best way to get him really clean after a change.

Day 1 went quite well. We’ve discussed it a lot, and I know he knows how to use the potty… it’s always been a matter of motivation. He didn’t have a single accident today, but saved his poop for after I’d put him in his nighttime diaper at “bedtime,” which is currently AKA “the 2-4 hours Wee Laddie spends winding down before he’ll fall asleep.”



We watched a new kids’ movie we got from the PX: “The Little Cars in the Big Race.” It’s an animated movie from Brazil. It was bad. Way bad. So bad that it was significantly overpriced at $5. I won’t even take it to the thrift store here, as this movie shouldn’t end up in anyone else’s hands.

My blood sugar was rather high after eating chicken-bean quesadillas. Waaaaah! I did use flour tortillas and I did eat a little more than I should have (for some reason I get full on smaller-than-normal-for-me quantities of food these days and that, combined with the fact that I loooove quesadillas, led me to overeat), so I haven’t given up entirely yet. Will try corn tortillas next time & see if that works.

No comments: