Monday, October 8, 2007

Burn, Baby, Burn

I’m a reasonably decent cook. What I also am is a kitchen injury waiting to happen. Okay, here’s the story: Saturday night I was cooking dinner. I believe I had two pans going plus the tea kettle for my tea. Our kitchen is tiny, so I keep my most-used spices on top of the vent hood, which hangs down from the ceiling over the stove island. (Please pardon the very messy kitchen in the photo.)



Often, when I walk around there to get spices, I just add them from there rather than walking back around front then around back again to put them away. (I’m not lazy… I’m efficient.) Anyway, I was doing that and didn’t think about the tea kettle and its--now boiling--contents. Stuck my arm right in front of the thing and got myself a nice steam burn on the inside of my arm.

Those of you who knew me in the Casa Bonita days may remember that I always had minor burn marks on my arms… and I once got some pretty nasty oil burns on my legs. And in my days since retiring from the restaurant industry, I’ve twice had to get stitches in a finger because of cutting myself whilst cooking. Have I mentioned before that I’m a clod?

Potty Training Day 3 went very well. Wee Laddie is still insisting on doing the majority of his pooping once we get the diaper on him for bedtime, but he did do a little one in the potty while I was at German class. And he did beautifully on base today when we went for lunch. Aside from the one time Sunday morning when he forgot he wasn’t wearing a diaper, he hasn’t had any “accidents,” and he hasn’t peed during nap at all in the last 3 days. I guess a little sheer terror was all the motivation he needed.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I am soooooo happy that W.L. is/was doing so well...I don't know how up to date those entries are.

What's with the not pooping though? This is driving me crazy.

Martina said...

Ouch! My specialty is reaching past a hot iron and burning my arm on it.