Sunday, May 27, 2007

Year of the Jackhammer

Today Grandma-Nana was wiping her glasses off with a tissue and Wee Laddie asked her, “Your glasses are dirty again?” Now that may seem like a simple remark, but as a person who is closely watching the language acquisition process right now, let me tell you: that’s big, conceptually and grammatically. I’m not saying my kid’s a genius or whatever, but I was impressed.

Now that our next door neighbor finished his pergola and seems to have chilled about some of his other projects, the people across the street are having landscaping done. They’ve had a digger there to even out their backyard and remove a large mound of dirt at the back of their property. Now they’ve got some guy out there with a jackhammer, doing who knows what. During my son’s naptime, naturally. Aaargh.

Wee Laddie has started playing around with calling us “Mom” and “Dad.” It sounds a little strange when you’re used to being called something else by a person and they suddenly change it. But it’s only part-time so far, so we’ll see if it sticks. He’s getting so many words and his sentences get more sophisticated all the time. But he still does have a few babyisms: like hen wants to be picked up he asks me, “Mommy, bup-up?” I know I will miss those when he stops using them.

No comments: