Thursday, May 17, 2007

Lunch in Burglengenfeld

Sign class was supposed to be this morning. I got there about 10 minutes late and everyone (all 3 of the attendees) was leaving! I talked to one of the moms (Kelly, the one that was here Friday before last) and she said nobody was there with a key. I have the signing stuff, but no key. I called Cheryl (hers was the only ACS phone number I had on me) and she said that Stacy wasn’t there today and that Brandi was in Vilseck doing an AFN commercial. Oops! I’m sure they didn’t do it intentionally, as they’ve been really positive about the class and offering support for it.

Grandma-Nana, Aunt Kaffee, Wee Laddie and I drove over to Burglengenfeld to have lunch. We tried to find a hotel where we could have a traditional German meal, but the only one we saw had a sign with a picture that looked remarkably like Saddam Hussein on it. As Americans, that made us feel a little weird so we looked for another one. Finally ended up at a döner shop. And a good one. I ordered for us in German and the guy said some big long sentence back. So I told him I only understand a tiny bit of German and he said that’s okay, that he speaks no English at all. And we did okay. We even tried to order pommes (french fries) and got an explanation that if he plugged the fryer in while the rotisserie was going, the lights would blow. And Grandma-Nana (who I don’t think speaks a single word of German) managed to find out what the meat was. Chicken. Pretty impressive for not speaking the language!

Then we got some ice cream and went to a nearby toy store, where Aunt Kaffee got Wee Laddie a birthday/Christmas present: a polizei car. He was quite excited.

Made pretty much a duplicate of our grillfest the other night, but with wild rice on the side instead of pasta. I didn’t get it cooked quite right, but it was okay. Aunt Kaffee did an awesome job on grill duty again. Yum. I’m so geared up for thinking of fun things to try on the grill this summer!

No comments: