Sunday, April 1, 2007

No Mex for You!

I had planned to try breakfast on base at Schweinfurt, but got lost on the way there. Guitarman had given me directions, but I saw another version of one of the things he mentioned and then started seeing things that were *really close* to what he’d said so my brain sort of made them fit and I ended up driving around the wrong area for about 25 minutes, probably. By the time I’d gotten sorted out, breakfast would’ve been nearly done. So we had breakfast quesadillas at Schweinfurt’s base (which also has a Taco Bell… meanwhile, down Hohenfels/Vilseck way there’s NOTHIN’) and headed back for a nap.

Guitarman suggested we go look at a place he saw called Kinderland. We went to check it out… it’s a toy store. Spent loads of time there and just a little money. And I have a bone to pick with the toymakers. Non-replaceable batteries in a toy are not a good idea. Ever. Wee Laddie was enamored of some soft “Cars” licensed toys that made noises when you shook them. A couple of them weren’t making the noises (Yes, toy-makin’ folks, those batteries—the ones you say I can’t replace but should be sure to dispose of properly… which, I should point out, would require me cutting apart this toy my son fell in love with, at which point you apparently do not give me an option of putting a new battery in and stitching the bad boy back up. Does this only seem odd to me?—were already worn out, while the product was *still on the store shelves.*) so I explained the whole thing to Wee Laddie. He’s two… he’s not stupid. When I told him that the batteries were going to wear out after a while and then the toy would never make the sounds again (Ya see, toymakers? I can foresee the tantrums that might cause in the future, even if you can’t.), he chose another toy. Okay it was still a “Cars” toy, but I think I’ve made my point, albeit not to any actual toy manufacturers. Whatever. He got a little Matchbox-sized Luigi and Sheriff instead, which he held onto for the rest of the day.

After spending an inordinate amount of time toy shopping, I drove us around Schweinfurt a bit. It’s quite a nice town. I made a turn and spotted a restaurant called… wait for it… HabaƱeros! I thought, “There’s no way that’s an Italian restaurant with a Mexican-sounding name… that’s gotta be Mexican food!” So I turned around, parked & went to look. It’s a “Texican” restaurant, right here in Bavaria! I was so excited that I called Guitarman on the spot to make dinner plans. Then Wee Laddie and I went to walk around (and we found a fun playground... near a Mexican restaurant! Bonus!) while we waited for dinnertime.

Went back to HabaƱeros around the time we were supposed to meet Guitarman there and I went in to get a table (planning to order for Guitarman so we didn’t keep Wee Laddie up too late). The host says, “You have a reservation, right?” Uh-oh. I told him no, that we didn’t realize we’d need one. He checked, but they were totally booked up, it being a Saturday night and all. (We usually just go earlier, but couldn’t since Guitarman had to work ‘til 7pm.) Oh dear. On the way back to the car, I almost cried.

We tried to go to the Krazy Kow (an “American style” restaurant), but it’d gone out of business. We had Mr. Wok’s incredibly salty food instead. Oh, the disappointment.

No comments: