Monday, April 9, 2007

Easter Festivities

After breakfast, we (Wee Laddie, Grandma and I) dyed eggs. I saved out 2 each for Grandma and me and let Wee Laddie do the rest. I’d forgotten, but he did them last year at Grandma’s house with his cousins. He spilled the blue dye and soaked his pants, but luckily I’d planned for that and made him change out of his spider outfit (the Halloween-y job he wore for the “signing of the papers”… he *loves* this outfit, I think because it’s orange). I’ve tried to relegate that outfit to Pajamaland, but he caught me at a weak moment this morning. He did really well with the decorating, and didn’t just do solid colors. He was kind of playing around with effects in a small way. Fun!

Made him wait ‘til after nap to do the egg hunt. (The upside of it being just him, kidwise, is that we didn’t have to work around anyone else’s schedule… so the fact that we’d stayed out all day yesterday wasn’t a big deal.) He got most of the eggs w/o any hints. Our yard is quite small and there are only small plants since the house—hence, the landscaping—isn’t very old). Not many places to hide an egg. For anyone other than a toddler, they’d have been ridiculously obvious.

After that, Wee Laddie, Grandma and I took a walk around Parsberg. I wanted to show Grandma some of the egg trees (a tradition I want to take home with us when we go back home… they look so festive!), and have her see our town. We went by the little park by the Seniorzentrum and they had a town egg tree, so we took a few pics there. Walking back through Stadtmitte (city center), I noticed that the Hotel Hirschen was open and suggested maybe we try to get some dinner there. Poor Wee Laddie was so tired on our walk that I had to carry him partway. It was far and we walked a lot yesterday, too…but I’m used to the tyke who’ll *run* around the full mile at Colorado Mills mall.

And we did go to Hotel Hirschen for dinner… sort of an early birthday celebration for me, courtesy of Grandma. I had the käsespätzle again. Fantastically yummy again, although it was cooked slightly differently this time. I’m going to have to learn to make that dish. Guitarman had wieners (hot dogs, but a little yummier) and Grandma got a mushroom salad. We all shared some with Wee Laddie since he ate pretty much nothing last time we’d eaten there. Everyone seemed to like their food.

Guitarman rented “Blood Diamond” for us to watch after Wee Laddie went to sleep. Ugh, what a depressing movie. Good, but awful. Makes me want to not wear my diamonds anymore…I don’t think I’ll ever buy another one. They’re beautiful, but so *not* worth all of that. There were a couple of scenes that made me feel like throwing up… such horrible atrocities over stones. Good grief.

2 comments:

Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

I've got the same feelings towards my diamond as well. I wanted to sell it and just have a plain band (the money would help out - at least a little - towards the purchase of a much needed station wagon) but hubby was completely against that.

Diamonds are also the main currency used by terrorists, I've learned. They're highly valuable and easy to transport, unlike cash or gold, which are bulkier and heavier. So many of the diamonds we wear were once used to fund terrorism. :(

Anonymous said...

Just makes you feel sick, doesn't it? I'm definitely buying CZ or something if I want the diamond look (it is my birthstone, for whatever that's worth) anymore.