Saturday, April 28, 2007

Living the High-Rank Life

I’ve been completely misunderstood in two different communications recently. Both in English. It’s puzzling, as I’m not used to being misinterpreted so easily in my native language. German, sure.

Had Little Troopers today. Found out that the beloved Cheryl (Wee Laddie adores her and we see her at the mess hall all the time… the first time we saw here there he was pointing at her and saying, “Friend! Friend!”) is leaving soon. She will be missed… she’s got such a great playgroup going! I sure hope it keeps going regardless of who comes in. I had a chat with Danielle (the PT who comes down from Vilseck every 2 weeks for this group) to figure out something to do to thank her.

Today two of the German moms at Little Troopers were talking to Kelly (a mom) about her living in “high-rank housing” in Velburg, kind of seeming weird about it. (I’ve heard that Germans don’t do the “keeping up with the Joneses” kind of thing so it caught me a little off-guard.) Kelly seemed surprised and didn’t seem to know what they meant so I’m like, “Are you fancy & didn’t even know it?” To lighten the mood. She kind of laughed and said, “I guess I am.”

Wee Laddie accidentally knocked a toy over and scared his friend Abigail (she wasn’t hurt, just caught by surprise), but he again refused to apologize. I think he feels bad (‘cause he doesn’t mean to hurt anyone, he just gets a bit overly zealous at times and then is embarrassed if he hurts someone), so I’m trying to help him learn that sometimes a quick “Oops, I’m sorry,” goes a lot farther than some of that other stuff.

Today I got a “Not yet, actually,” from Wee Laddie. Oh dear.

No comments: