Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Another Butt-Kicking

Brenda kicked our butts in exercise class this morning (Maria was making a trip to the US this week). We did a long walk, down the big hill to one of the entry gates that’s always closed, then along that road. We did walking, running and skipping. I thought I was being clever (okay, and a bit lazy) by taking the lightest of Wee Laddie’s strollers. What I forgot was that it’s too short for me, so my arms got very tired from kind of leaning on it to keep it moving. We have that nice jogging stroller that Grandma got for us, but I need to inflate the tires… and guess what. We left the bicycle pump back in CO.

Brenda talked to me about the sign class. Apparently someone that heads up some other group contacted her about it, saying that it should be through this other group and that the instructor (me) would be paid. Well, first off, I’m not certified to instruct in ASL… I should think that anyone paying for a class would want a qualified instructor. Secondly, if we do that I think it means we shouldn’t really be using the “Signing Time” videos because of copyright laws. And third, I think that charging for it just might weed out the people who probably need this resource the most… and that’s the lower-income, less educated, often younger parents. Brenda agreed and said that she thinks that a big part of the reason for the high participation rates here is that they don’t charge for everything. (And by that I mean anything.) She said that her target audience is really the parents who are younger and maybe less confident and less informed (maybe not so willing to admit that they need lots of help, which I’ve found easier to do as I get older… less need to “prove myself,” so it’s okay for me to ask anyone/everyone for help/tips/whatever). So we agreed that there will be no pay even if we do another session of this in the fall, as we just want to keep it open to anyone who’s interested.

Wee Laddie and I had lunch at the mess hall near Daddy’s office., Every day we go through the thing about how he has to eat enough of his lunch to be able to have ice cream or cake. So today he notices that I guy at the next table has just returned with a bowl of ice cream. He points to him and says, “Man have ice cream.” I said, “Yes, that man does have ice cream. He must have eaten all of his vegetables.” The guy heard us and laughed, and then was playing along. Even though a lot of these military guys are young, a lot of them have kids (you can often tell by how patient and friendly they are to Wee Laddie), so it’s easy to get them to cooperate with me. It’s nice.

Today was a much better day and Wee Laddie had a much-needed 3-hour nap! YAY! And Grandma will be here soon! :)

No comments: