Thursday, April 5, 2007

Where's Ellie?

Got up at 5am for the drive to Munchen to pick up Grandma. I couldn’t tell Wee Laddie ahead of time that she was coming (well I guess I could have, but I was afraid that every breath from then on would be “Grandma coming today now?” until the moment she was actually visible). So I told him in the airport parking lot. He didn’t seem too surprised… I guess he figured it out from things I’ve told people recently.

When we walked in the door, he started saying, “Grandma, [where] are you?” She’d gotten through baggage claim very quickly, so she actually beat us there. (Yes, we were a tad later than I’d planned, but I didn’t really think she’d be through already!) Only by a minute or two. On the way out to the car Wee Laddie asked where Ellie (Grandma’s dog) was. I guess they come as a package.

We’d talked about going to a museum that day, but I asked Grandma if she really wanted to do that or if she just wanted to have an adjustment day. For those of you who haven’t travelled over that many time zones before, it is completely exhausting. Nevermind if you sleep on the plane (which she hadn’t). You’re automatically losing hours so it’s disorienting, to say the least. And I’m not a person who tends to have jetlag issues.

We went to lunch at the mess hall, just ‘cause it’s sometimes easier than cooking. Grandma was literally falling asleep at the table, so she took a bit of a nap (while Wee Laddie had his) once we got home.

Guitarman got home from Schweinfurt in the evening and we all went to the bowling alley for dinner. The food’s mediocre (although my cheeseburger tonight was remarkably not overcooked!) but the bright lights and all the noise are probably good for keeping a potential jet-lagger from falling asleep too early.

No comments: