Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Classmates

I’m on the language theme again today, I guess. Had German class tonight. I found out that 3 of our class members are asylum-seekers. Two are from Cambodia and I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t remember where the other one is from, except that he left one place and when to Iraq (of all places) and then came here to Germany.

The German laws for asylum-seekers are apparently very strict. (I have no idea how they compare to those in the US.) They are quite restricted as to how much they can earn, and they are not allowed to leave even the *county.* It’s not even like they’re just confined to Germany. Or even Bavaria. But just the county. All three are hoping to be able to stay here forever.

The two from Cambodia work at the school where the German class is. And their German is way, WAY better than mine. Better than anyone else in class, really. I’d imagine that, given the circumstances, their motivation for learning it quickly is very high. I'm learning more about what life in America must be like for our immigrants.

No comments: