Thursday, September 20, 2007

Snubbed

It was the weirdest thing today… I got snubbed by two of the moms on base, including one who has been very friendly to me for months. I was so excited about the Total Mom thing yesterday (but I don’t think they’ve marketed it as effectively as they could have) so I was telling a few people about it at Kids’ Club. And two of the moms seemed very interested and hadn’t heard a thing about it.

So I mentioned it to 3 moms who were sitting kind of together, and one of them (who I don’t really know at all) just sort of nodded that she’d heard of it. One of the others remarked that she’d have time for herself after her children were grown, to which I said, “Yeah, but you’ll be an even better mom if you get some time now to just be you!” And the two I was sitting closest to pretty much just turned away from me and that was the end of the conversation.

I’m not sure anything like that has happened to me since, I don’t know, middle school?

Had a chat later with a mom I know a little bit. Turns out she’s just ahead of me, pregnancywise and we’ve got some things in common as far as blood clotting disorders (which I’m finding to be much more common than I’d have imagined). She’s got a much more serious one than I’ve got and has had like 4 miscarriages since having her daughter! Her daughter is pretty much a miracle, really, as her disorder has like a 90-something percent miscarriage rate if untreated. So she’s a little hesitant to tell people about the pregnancy yet, in case something goes wrong. She’s not showing at all (sometimes you can see a tiny belly depending on what she wears, but she’s tall and wonderfully slender, so it’s not at all obvious) so she can get away with it. But I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for her that everything goes perfectly this time. And I’ll count my own blessings that we only lost one.

No comments: