Monday, September 3, 2007

Phone Conversations in a Foreign Language

I spent about 2 hours this morning (amid distractions, of course) looking up words and putting sentences together so I could call the diabetes doctor’s office. Here’s a photo of my cheat sheet, as embarrassing as it is:



The doctors speak excellent English, their staff less so… and I need to have my prescription faxed to my insurance in the US so they can order the testing strips from a US company, so we don’t have to pay (outrageously) for them up front. I think this kind of thing is one of the most frustrating things about he language barrier (others being: finding fun things to do with the kids and meeting any locals). Back home the whole thing would’ve taken maybe 10 minutes… and no advance prep. Anyway, I finally got a hold of them (they have weird hours: 8-12 and 4-6) and after I tried about ½ of my sentences, they told me to call tomorrow and talk to the doctor. Figures.

I’d started dinner, but Guitarman took over cooking so I could go sit down and relax. It was awesome.

Is it considered a sign of potty-training readiness if your child can change their own diaper??

No comments: