Thursday, September 13, 2007

Children Who Do Not Nap

Sorry for this transgression. I’ll get back to my no-more-whining-about-the-stupid-naps policy after this post.

Everything was perfect. Wee Laddie had pooped earlier this morning, so there wasn’t that to keep him up. We stopped by the thrift store (no repeat of last time’s big score and the rocking chair is gone) and he wanted to drive up the road the thrift store is on, which loops up toward the “back” of the base, so that means a longer drive home. He was looking all sleepy… the stage was set. And I did have to drive a bit extra near home, but he fell asleep in the car. Until…

Car seat manufacturers have forgotten one demographic: light sleepers. (Yeah, they’ve got safety stuff to think about… blah, blah, blah.) If Wee Laddie stays asleep until I’ve pulled at least one arm out of the straps, he’ll go back to sleep about 99% of the time… unless, of course, I’m outside of the critical time window of about 20 minutes. BUT. If he wakes up when I’m loosening the straps, or at any other time while both arms are still in, it’s all a crap shoot. Amazing how much difference a few mere seconds can make.

So he snuggled into the crook of my neck and convinced me he’d go back to sleep. (And bowled me over with the power of baby snuggles. It was a glorious two minutes.) Next thing you know, we’re upstairs lying in bed with him sniffing on every inhale. I don’t know why he does this sometimes, but it was keeping both of us awake. *30 minutes* of sniffing, I finally got up to get nose spray and told him to stop, blah, blah… he told me he wanted to get up.

What I said was, “If you’re not going to sleep then you need to have quiet time. See ya later.” What he heard, apparently, was, “Hey, why don’t you go ahead and change your own diaper? Oh, and while you’re at it, you can pull all the wipes out of the container one by one and pile them on the bed.”

So when you come visit me in the loony bin after I’ve lost my mind from this stupid nap battle and you hear me babbling about folding wipes and quiet time and please stop sniffing… well, this is why.

No comments: