Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Thoughts on Window Screens

We skipped swim today. Wee Laddie loves it so much that I might take him tomorrow if his nose stops running. Watched “Cars” again. Seems that movie will be playing a prominent role in my immediate future.

German windows do not have screens. I’ve seen a web site where you can order them, but they don’t typically have them at all. Weird. The windows open 2 ways… you turn a handle a quarter-turn and the window opens like a door. If you turn it a full half-turn, then they open a few inches at the top. Not understanding that led to my original belief that we didn’t have a door that opened onto our patio, despite having three big French-door type things there. Guitarman set me straight.

The window-door thing is very cool, I think (though ours don’t have any type of handle outside, so you can’t close them from outside). The screen thing? I don’t get that. I mean for windows you’re likely to use as a door, sure. Makes no sense to have a screen there. But on our bathroom window? Bedroom windows? Windows with bars in front of them? Central air is not very common here, either, so how do Germans stay cool without having bugs take over their houses?

No comments: