Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Internet in Any Language

I’ve got a bit of a computer-related rant today. I know, I was just complaining about Microsoft dumbing things down. This one has to do with living in a foreign country where you don’t speak the language. If you’re not in that situation, then you probably don’t know that there are web sites out there that check your location and default to a site specific to that country. And in that language. I get that… it makes sense.

Unless they don’t give you an obvious way to be able to access the information in another language (when you know that the information exists in that other language). English, say.

I type in www.google.com and get sent to www.google.de. And there’s a link called “Google.com in English.” Perfect. Many sites will have either a little British or American flag icon that gives you English. But Samsung’s site doesn’t have any such link. (Nor does myspace, not that I actually need to go to myspace… I’m just saying.)

But Samsung. It sure would be handy to be able to get the driver I need to re-calibrate my monitor so Photoshop stops giving me error messages every time I start it.

No comments: